Saturday, June 20, 2009

Vacation Recap - The Food Post

It's time for what all of you foodies have been waiting for - the Greatest Hits of my Mexico eats! :o)

Are you ready?

LET'S GO!!!!!



These beauties are courtesy of the Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun. Basically it was a cheesecake but it was unlike any cheesecake I've ever had in my life!!! It was light. Very fluffy. Did I mention light?

If only I had the recipe! On second thought - it's probably a good thing I don't have the recipe! :oP hahahha

I still have NO idea what this drink was made of . . . but it was our welcome cocktail at the Hacienda Chichen and I downed it in a hurry! It was fruity and light. So what I needed in the sweltering jungle heat.

The waiter tried to explain what it was made of - apparently they used a leaf as the prime ingredient. He described it as similar to a spinach. In fact it looked a bit like a maple leaf. Must be some kind of jungle plant.


While in Mexico we visited a tiny little restaurant. Really it was a glorified shack. It was recommended to us by a local as totally yummy and totally genuine. And it did not disappoint! It was really good!

The highlight by far was the taco al pastor that I had. Above is a picture of the pork meat turning and getting moist and tender due to the pineapple on top.

Oh and when I say it was a shack I'm not really kidding. In fact as soon as we finished eating all three of us were seriously concerned that Montezuma would be paying us a visit. It's not that the place seemed dirty but the sauces and stuff were out and the flies were inevitably attracted. Plus we figured they'd used tap water to wash everything. Thankfully some healthy doses of vitamin C and digestive enzymes kept Monty away! :oP


In Tulum there's a small hole in the wall restaurant that ONLY sells grilled chicken. I'm a big believer in a restaurant that does one thing but does it really well. And this chicken is right up there with my Paris Thanksgiving chicken (will have to blog about that some day) as the best chicken I've ever had in my life.

And did I mention the meal was dirt cheap? It's probably my most memorable meal in all of Mexico! Go figure, eh? Simple roast chicken did it for me big time!


Now I do have to admit that in Mexico it was kind of hard to find dishes that didn't include a ton of beef or pork. All I wanted was some seafood and vegetables. So you can imagine how absolutely delighted I was when the above dish arrived at my table. Biggest smile that night! :o)

In fact when the waiter came and got the empty dish he asked me if I was done "annihilating" it!!! ROFL!!!! I think I must have looked a tad excited!


You wouldn't know it but this picture above is officially what heaven looks like on a plate. I believe it was a version of banana's foster in a passion fruit sauce. I think I need to get myself back to Mexico! lol


This picture can't even begin to do justice to the lobsters. They were amazing. So fresh and perfectly cooked. The mango/tomato salsa was absolutely perfect for the warm weather too! A big prop to Ruben (the Sommelier at Dreams Tulum) who cooked up this beautiful dish for us! :o)

Here's a link to one of the blogs written by Ruben's wife: LINK


This would be the marmalade of my dreams!!! Or at least that's what they called it down in Milamores. Basically it was a bunch of fruit cooked down with a tiny bit of sugar or cinnamon. I LOVED this stuff! Ate it everyday I was in Tulum and was sad to say goodbye to it . . . yes I was sad to say goodbye to jam! lol

On the bread is a smear of guava and mango. To. Die. For.

So there you have it bloggies - some of my greatest hits. To be honest it was so hot we didn't eat as much as we otherwise would have. It was a pity that we didn't indulge more but we still had some really yummy and memorable eats.


Happy Saturday Amigos!!!


4 comments:

jlc said...

oh wow! to die for indeed. these all (espesh the first pic) look like heaven!!

A Toronto girl out West said...

jlc,

lol Yeah it was good! In fact had I known how good it was I would have eaten it first and time and time again!!! :oP

Marlene said...

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I just ate dinner, but suddenly I am starving!

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

Guava jam is the best! I fell in love with it in Ecuador. Yum :)