Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Confessions of a Fitness Blogger

My Confession: I have let things slip in my journey towards "the whole package." I know, I know. It's terrible and I feel bad about it.

I had it all together in Victoria until it was time to study for the bar exam. I have never (NEVER) been under such stress in my life. I wasn't eating properly, I was neglecting my workouts, and I was under such pressure my hair started falling out in clumps. Not a pretty sight.

I eventually finished that whole process and moved to the Rocky Mountains. And here I haven't been as good as I would like to be. I haven't really found a gym home and I really miss my Victoria workout digs. I've also found it a bit of a struggle to get adjusted to my new career life. I don't work insane hours but I still feel myself utterly drained at the end of the day.

But enough with the excuses. I've fallen off track and I need to get back to the way things were. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and loaded up on oodles of healthy stuff; that was the first step. I'm also going to buy free weights for home and a little contraption that I can use to turn my bike into a stationary spinning bike. I've spoken to my trainer and he's going to come up with a plan for me to do at home. And just as soon as the weather gets better (it will be months) I'm going to take up running outside.

So in honor of New Year's here's what I resolve to do in 2009:

1) Get back to my healthy ways (I've worked too hard for too long to let it all fall apart)

2) Reach my ideal weight

3) Run a half marathon

There you have it! What are your resolutions for 2009? Just remember, it's good to have goals!

2 comments:

Nick Baker said...

Awesome Karen, great to keep it in perspective. But remember a wise trainer (that's me) once said "There is no ideal weight. Just be healthy and active. Feed your body, and torture it a bit." Or something. You're my biggest success story, so keep it up!

A Toronto girl out West said...

I'm back on track Nick! :o) I decided to forgo the at home gym thing for now (I just don't have the space) but I've signed up for a gym that's waaaaay closer to my house and I've started hitting that on a regular basis. 'Tis good indeed!