Monday, August 30, 2010

Sleepless in Victoria

Hola Bloggies:

Happy Monday!!! In the words of one of my good elementary school friends: “Be Great” this week!

Today, I’m excited to share with you one of my favourite places in Victoria (Vancouver Island, Canada). When I moved to Victoria, to start Law School, it was one of the very first places I discovered: Fisherman’s Wharf.

IMG_2291

Unlike, the wharfs one finds in other tourist cities, this one is still a working wharf.

IMG_2293

People live here.

IMG_2300

In ridiculously cute arrangements.

IMG_2310

People work here (fisherman still bring in the catch of the day).

IMG_2306

People sail out of here.

IMG_2301

And of course tourists congregate here.

The main draw for tourists (aside from all the ridiculous cuteness) is Barb’s Fish and Chips. A wonderful take-out restaurant floating in the wharf. And that my dears, is the reason I was at Fisherman’s Wharf.

The line-up was very long. In fact I think I waited twenty minutes in line and almost fifty minutes for my food. But the food at Barb’s is worth every minute.

Let me put it to you this way – my parents, who have visited Victoria twice, still wax poetic about the fish and chips at Barb’s. It’s all in the freshness of the catch.

IMG_2302

Once I got to the front of the line, I didn’t hesitate. I ordered myself a one piece halibut dinner with salad instead of chips. It’s the kind of meal that dreams are made of.

While I waited for my meal I headed off to browse around the Wharf. It’s really grown since I started going there, years ago.

IMG_2297

IMG_2318

IMG_2307

Eventually I was called to the window to pick-up my meal.

I took my precious loot and found a nearby bench. It had been much too long since I had some Barb’s.

IMG_2314

IMG_2316

IMG_2315

The coleslaw at Barb’s is my favourite – bar none. And the salads are fantastic (I love me some beets).

IMG_2317

And then there is the fish – halibut just doesn’t flake like this, away from the Coast.

I loved every moment of my Fisherman’s Wharf experience; and I can’t wait to go back.


Question: What is your favourite fish? I love salmon, red snapper, halibut, cod, and tuna – equally!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I haven't been to Victoria but really would love to go....and now I have a serious fish and chips craving.
I pretty much love all fish and seafood, except mussels and shrimp. Yuck.

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

I can't even count the number of times I've been down to Fisherman's Wharf in Vic, but can you believe I've never eaten at Barb's?! I know, insane. I was always there for work though, observing the halibut offloads, so I wasn't in the mood to eat fish.

Have you been to Red Fish, Blue Fish? Love them. So good!

Carolyn said...

Yuuuuuck! One thing we don't have in common! Allergic to shellfish & just plain grossed out by the rest of it...lol. I do take fish oil capsules, though. Brain food!

Rita said...

Wow!
I nice to see all these familiar sites and pictues; we have been spending the month of March in Victoria for the past 5 years; just love it there.

Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

Oh my goodness what a cute little nook of a town! I am in love. :D I love me a good fried fish, no lies! I also wouldn't mind a hushpuppy or down with that dinner. :D