Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Blogger Spotlight - Mission to Another Marathon


Just when I think I've found all the awesome blogs out there I find another one!!! Such was the case recently when I started reading Mission to Another Marathon.

It's not a food blog but it is a training/weight-loss blog. Marlene, the author, has come so far in such a relatively short period of time! If she's not an inspiration I don't know who is. :o)

Plus by all accounts she has a really good heart. Often participating in charity races. In particular, I was drawn by the fact that she is currently helping to organize a race in Toronto called Run4Rett.


You see, Marlene has a friend with a daughter that suffer from Rett's Syndrome and started this event.

Rett's syndrome is an unfortunate disease caused by a random genetic mutation. Essentially it's a severe neurological disorder affecting 1:10, 000 female births. It is often misdiagnosed as autism, cerebral palsy, or a non-specific development delay. Many girls experience seizures, scoliosis, and the inability to communicate verbally. As a result girls and women with this disease are dependent on families or caregivers for life.

This year will mark the second year that Run4Rett will be held. Last year's event raised over $50,000 for the Ontario Rett Syndrome Association and attracted over 425 people!

Marlene is helping to organize this year's run/walk 5k and 1k which will be held on Saturday, October 17th in Richmond Green Park (in Richmond Hill, Ontario).

If you happen to be in the Southern Ontario area in October I highly encourage you to sign up through the Running Room.

And even if you can't make the race I do hope you'll consider checking out Marlene's blog! She's an inspiration and a blogger with heart! :o)

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Oh my goodness, what a surprise to find THIS in my reader this morning. Thank you sooo much!

It's been great getting to 'know' you. :)

Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

Hooray! More people need to know more about Rett, no one even knows it exists!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Marlene,

It was my absolute pleasure posting this! :o) And I thought it might make you smile!!!

Andrea,

Doing what I can to spread the word . . . truthfully before Marlene's post I had never heard of Rett!!!

Unknown said...

those are great blog. I'm going to check them out. Thanks for sharing it.

zbsports