Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A VERY Feliz Navidad!!!

Hola Bloggies!

I've been MIA for a while now but with very good reason. I have been in the Toronto casa enjoying time with my family, catching up with my favourite places, wedding dress shopping, and playing tour guide to the Fiance. It's been a wonderful time!!!

In the middle of all that cavorting we still found time to celebrate Christmas with the familia. In our Hispanic tradition we do the whole Christmas thing on the 24th.

My mother always does a wonderful job of decking the halls! There's nothing like familiar Christmas decorations to make you feel at home!



 

I'm probably biased but I happen to think that the pictures don't do the decorations justice. Must be the glow of childhood getting in my eyes! lol :oP

Now don't fret - there were presents a plenty under the Christmas tree. Daisy seemed more than a little intrigued by the shiny packages.



Even the stockings were bursting full of goodies! There was even one for Daisy full of special Christmas treats, bully sticks, and a biodegradable bag holder for her leash! She also ended up getting a Santa hat (which he shook right off) and a totally souped up Harry Barker pet bed in medium. Why I bought my small dog a medium sized beg I'll never know! lol Not bad for puppy's first Christmas!!





 

Not to be forgotten is the absolutely wonderful feast we had for Christmas dinner! My parents prepared a fantastic meal for us to gather around and enjoy!



Rather than roast the turkey my parents smoke it in a massive clay oven contraption (called a Kamado). Honestly, there is no better way to eat a turkey. It ends up insanely moist and super tasty. I'm not really a meat/chicken/pork eater anymore but I still love this turkey!!



This rice has been a favourite of mine since childhood! I love it something fierce!!! And yes that's American Cheese on top. Nothing uber refined. Just good old down home cooking. :o) Besides, the rice goes well with the salsa . . .


lol - That's right! Being Hispanic we eat salsa with our turkey. No gravy for us! This particularly salsa is made the way it's cooked back in El Salvador. It has a tomato base but also a ton of spices and flavourings including ancho chile, guajillo chile, bay leaves, thyme, cumin, pepper, capers, olives, onions, green onions, garlic, and celery. WHEW! That's a lot of ingredients!! Don't worry - we blend everything together and it's absolutely delicious.

 

And here are the eats on my plate!! Oh dear Lord - I'm getting hungry just writing this entry!!! lol




For dessert we had homemade creme brulee  prepped table side! :oP lol



Top it all off with a glass of home made eggnog and you have absolute Christmas perfection!



In all seriousness though - the eats were plentiful, the presents wonderful and the house beautifully decorated. BUT the most wonderful thing of all was getting to share Christmas with those I love most. Usually I'm either with the Fiance or with my family but never the two combined. This year I got to share Christmas with all my favourite people and my puppy too! And for that I truly am blessed.

And so I'm grateful to God for the gift of Christmas, the Fiance with whom I share my life, the puppy of my dreams, and parents I love more than anything. Most of all I will always be grateful for our first Christmas together!

9 comments:

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

Merry Christmas! Looks like you had a great time with the family :D I so want to try out your family's take on Christmas dinner. I'm intrigued by your turkey, rice, and salsa - looks delish!

CarolynM said...

OMG that looks sooooo good!! I'm sure your parents were thrilled to meet their grand-puppy. Tree looks beautiful...you really do have everything that matters. =)

A Toronto girl out West said...

Marianne,

Turkey our way is different but super tasty!!! To be honest I'm so used to it I have a hard eating gravy. It's going to have to be salsa for the rest of my life!

Carolyn,

It was great!! In fact it's going to be really hard to get on that plane on the first of the tear. Kind of wish I could stick around here for good!

I hope your Christmas was lovely too!!

Oh and Daisy has been a big hit!

Erin said...

What a fabulous holiday. And you're right, your decor is stunning!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic Christmas! It really looks magical! :) That smoked turkey looks amazing!! If only blogger was scratch and sniff!! hhehe

Lost & Found said...

Glad you had a wonderful holiday! The decorations are gorgeous as well. And it sounds like Daisy hit the holiday jackpot. =]

A Toronto girl out West said...

Erin,

Thanks! And I totally loved being able to come home for Christmas!!

DairyFreeBetty,

lol I would LOVE scratch and sniff blogging! Here's hoping you had an awesome Christmas too!!!

Lost&Found,

Daisy scored BIG time!!! She's a much loved puppy!!! Hope you guys had an awesome Christmas too! Happy New Year!!!

Nancy@ChocolateAndFitness said...

Daisy is so cute! I'm salivating looking at the turkey.

Marlene said...

Sounds like a perfect way to enjoy the holiday! Feliz Navidad!