I do believe I owe you a recipe. I had originally planned on posting this in the AM but I didn't get the chance before I headed to work. But I'm about to make up for it! :o)
The recipe that follows was my entry into last week's Blogger Secret Ingredient challenge (lemon). I decided to create a bit of a Larabar "knockoff" inspired by my favourite Larabar - Key Lime Pie. Yummers!
For the recipe I used lemons but you could use lime instead. I have to say the end result was a very accurate reproduction. Cheap? Yes! Yummy? Yes! Will I make them again? You Bet!
1 cup - chopped dates
2/3 cup - cashews
3/4 cup - unsweetened shredded coconut
1 - lemon
1) Take dates (I suggest using medjool dates) and remove their seeds.
Chop them up with a knife until you have a cup full.
2) Grind cashews in a food processor until they resemble coarse
crumbs. Plase dates cashews in a mixing bowl.
3) In the same food processor (no need to wash), process the dates
until they form a paste.
4) Add date paste to the cashew mixture. Also add the coconut.
5) Take your lemon and zest it, adding the zest to the mixing bowl.
Then cut your lemon and squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon to the
6) Roll up your sleeves and mix all the ingredients by hand until they
(It's messy but oh so worth it - btw if you find that the mixture is too wet for your taste feel free to add a bit more coconut)
7) At this point you can cut four pieces of saran wrap and shape the
mixture into four large bars. Wrap the bars and refrigerate. The
mixture will harden and the flavours will deepen.
8) Alternatively you can shape the mixture into small donut hole sized balls.
This recipe yields four good sized bars or 12-16 power balls. I'm partial to the little balls themselves - the perfect size for snacking or pre-workout fuel!
If you refrigerate these goodies overnight the flavours will deepen and make it perfectly yummy.
Enjoy bloggies!!! :o)