Friday, March 27, 2009

FAQ: Do Green Smoothies Actually Taste Good?

Hello everyone:

Now I know many of you have wondered it . . . but Sarah of Recipes, Reviews, Running and Rants actually asked:

"Do green smoothies actually taste good? They look so . . . Green!!!"

I had to laugh when I read this question because before I started drinking them I thought the same thing. In fact I fully recognize that they look like the IT from the swamp.

Here's the thing - they do taste good! In fact they taste fantastic!! But there are some caveats. You should vary the ingredients based on your tolerance for a "greener" taste.


Let me show you my favourite stand-by Green Monster Recipe!

This is a double helping (although really it makes three large glasses so it could even be for three) so feel free to vary it for one.

2 cups of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze

2 small non-fat strawberry yogurts

1 heaping handful of spinach

1 heaping handful of kale

approx. 3/4 of a cup of slightly defrosted mangos

1 tablespoon of flax seeds

2 bananas

4 ice cubes (to drop the temperature)


I heart this combo because it has all the good stuff in there but the non-fat strawberry yogurt adds a hint of sweetness without adding any honey or other sweeteners. Although if you'd like you could add some of those as well. I now some people add things like stevia.

Also, note my fruity ingredients are light in colour. I do that in part to retain the green colour. If you go overboard and add lots of berries your smoothie will turn brown. Still super yummy! Just brown! :o)

Next you throw all the ingredients together in the blender (I like to put the ice, spinach, and kale at the bottom and hit blend for a minute or two.


See it all blends up to a generally lovely consistency. You'll still have little kale pieces and flax seeds floating around but I like that. I find it gives the drink a little "chew!"

Shall we get a close-up?


RAWR!!! It from the pond!!! lol :oP Sorry couldn't resist! In all truthfulness though it doesn't taste nearly as "green" as you would imagine. In fact, as I happily discovered, the Green Monsters are sweet and fresh tasting.

Why do I love them? They're good for me, they're portable, and quick to make! PLUS I've found that they give me loads of energy, don't make me feel bloated, and really fill me up! I'm a big believer in Green Monsters. I'm thrilled Angela introduced them to this blogger because they're now my favourite way to start my mornings!


So go ahead bloggies! I challenge you - try one soon! :o) They're good for you and yummy - I promise!


PS: Those are engagement roses in the background. Aren't they huge and beautiful? The boy did very well!

11 comments:

Run Sarah said...

Beautiful engagement roses. I still need try one of these green monsters1

A Toronto girl out West said...

Gracias Sarah! :o)

And I quite like the Green Monsters - they're ever so much cheaper than hitting up a local place for a protein smoothie too!

Sharon said...

Oh wow, totally scrumptious looking! Love the bold color!!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Sharon,

I'm totally amazed by how psychedelic they look sometimes! :oP

Aron said...

i still havent tried a green smoothie :)

and yes when i run in the morning its usually dark... it starts getting light around 630 i think. i wear a headlamp and try to run in neighborhoods where there is light.

A Toronto girl out West said...

aron,

You're hardcore!! I like that about you! ;o) lol

Sassy Sarah said...

I know I always leave comments about how i'm going to try one of these..but I feel like this weekend is the time!! purdy flowers :)

A Toronto girl out West said...

Sassy Sarah,

Enjoy! :o) Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your smoothie is so pretty and greeen! I laughed so hard at your comment about groats sounding like something that lives under a bridge! I totally agree!

I am loving your site and just added you to my google reader so I can keep up with future posts!!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous said...

Your green monsters are GREEN!.... and full of sooo much goodness!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous

A Toronto girl out West said...

Leah,

LOL Yeah they're kind of neon in colour! That's probably part of the reason I like the mango so much! :o)

Foods that Fit,

Yaaaayyy for being added to your google reader! :oD I'm thrilled you dropped by!!!

lol And yeah I think I'll have to try to find groats. But I live in a small Rocky Mountain city right now. Don't know that they do groats around these parts! lol