Saturday, July 17, 2010

Does it Hurt When I do this?

(source)

Hola Bloggies:

Although I haven’t shared with you, I have unfortunately been experiencing some back pain in the last month. At first it started off as tenderness in my lower back. I could feel it when I got up from extended periods of sitting – it was most noticeable right after driving or being at work. Then it progressed to pain that caused me to alter my “Operation Bring it!” workouts. I basically managed to get one week in according to the schedule and quickly found myself modifying the rest of the schedule to avoid anything that could cause stress to my back (that was most of the workouts).  And then it got worse . . .

About a week ago I had several days of absolutely excruciating pain that had me flat on my back in agony. I tried using heat. I tried taking extra-strength painkillers. I tried changing positions. Nothing worked. Honestly, the pain was so bad I was absolutely nauseous. And then it largely went away.

Still I wasn’t happy with the progression of my back issues and I attended a variety of Doctor’s appointments. Currently, I’m awaiting X-Ray results in the hopes of ruling out any skeletal issues. Although my Physiotherapist fears that may be the cause the Doctor is not so inclined. Nonetheless, in the meantime I am under strict Doctor’s orders to stay away from P90X. Instead, I have been prescribed a series of abdominal and weight lifting exercises that use very little weights and are heavily supported. Basically, they’re meant to target the deep muscles of my core in the hopes of alleviating the pain.

One not so great part is the fact that this pain has coincided with the start of my training for the Long Beach Half. To train for the race I will be using a modified version of Hal Higdon’s Novice Half Marathon Training Program. Basically, I know my body can’t take running every day so I will be limiting my runs to three times a week. On my non running days I will be participating in cross-training consisting of Zumba, cycling, and maybe some deep water running (the Kinesiologist recommended that I give it a go). Of course I’ll also be incorporating weight training into my workouts, as the Doctor permits.

Today, I did my second run of my half training. Although the workout came from FitSugar, I made sure to run it by my Medical team before giving it a go. Here’s what I did today:

 

Beginner Treadmill Workout

00:00-5:00   3.5 Speed   1.0 Incline

5:00-10:00   3.5 Speed   1.0 Incline

10:00-12:00  5.5 Speed  1.0 Incline

12:00-16:00  3.5 Speed  1.0 Incline

16:00-18:00  5.5 Speed  1.0 Incline

18:00-22:00  3.5 Speed  1.0 Incline

22:00-24:00  5.8 Speed  1.0 Incline

24:00-28:00  3.5 Speed  1.0 Incline

28:00-30:00  5.8 Speed  1.0 Incline

30:00-35:00  3.5 Speed  1.0 Incline

35:00-40:00  3.0 Speed  1.0 Incline

 

If you think that looks like a walk-run, you’re right! It wouldn’t be my usual choice for training for I’m trying to be good and listen to my Doctor. Truth be told, holding back was really the hardest part of my run. I wanted to go faster during those forty minutes. And after the scheduled workout was over I still felt so good, I wanted to keep going. But I forced myself to stop and move to another cardio machine.

Here’s hoping I get good news on the X-Rays and can return to regular workouts soon!

 

Question: Have you ever suffered a back injury? More specifically, have you ever trained through a similar injury?

6 comments:

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

I know all too well about back injuries - car accidents will do that to ya. Fortunately, it happened outside of skating season, so I was able to do all of my rehab before the season started up again. That being said, once I was back on the ice, I was popping advil every time I skated so I wouldn't be in tears at the end of the session. I ended up back in rehab part way through the season, but also kept skating. It sucked, but the pain did go away. Listen to those medical professionals. It will be worth it in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Some years ago I suffered from a severe back pain. It lasted over a month and it disappeared after that. Maybe it was because I took a good rest or it was not so serious.
But I can remember how awful it felt

Ruth said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your back pains. I can't even imagine how it must feel for you. The back is such a vital part of the body in any movement. I hope that you feel better soon! Be sure to give your body the rest it needs

Nancy@ChocolateAndFitness said...

Be careful with your back. I've thrown it out before and it isn`t pretty.

a bike rider in the big smoke said...

i had a semi-herniated disc back in undergrad...right during (and possibly partially caused by) exams. You know me so you know it would've sucked a lot given how much I like biking and climbing! I ignored it as long as i could, and it made my life rough. I finally went to the doctor and physio, and within 3 weeks of doing the exercises they gave me it started to feel better!

Marathon Maritza said...

Sorry to hear about your back...how's it holding up nowadays?

I think Hal Higdon's plan will be great for you...I'm actually doing his 4-runs-per-week plan and it's much easier to handle! Hang in there!

More running updates...you keep making me hungry with all these food posts! (You always make me want to eat more sushi.)