Monday, July 12, 2010

Painting it Red – Furia Roja Style

Hola Bloggies:

I have a confession to make. Yours truly has a World Cup problem. No. Really. I watched pretty well most of the matches during the last couple of weeks. This despite the fact that many took place in the middle of the day.

Crazy, eh!? smile_wink

At one point the World Cup threatened to turn into a disappointment (I would have been very sad over a Germany-Netherlands final) but the Spaniards came through and fought their way to the final. To celebrate the occasion I prepared a tapas style luncheon and invited one of my co-workers to come watch the game.

IMG_1757 

Who said noon is too early to start drinking!! Ha! I chose a couple of Spanish wines but we ended up only opening the Rosé – it was crazy hot. Turned out to be delish.

IMG_1758

Given the heat and the lack of air conditioning in the casa, I did my best to avoid dishes that involved too much cooking. Hence the tapas style meal.

IMG_1759

Those mushrooms are a favourite of mine. They are kind of pickled and have a lovely texture and taste.

IMG_1760

To make the salad I used a bag of mixed field greens grown by a local producers. There were even flowers in that bowl.

IMG_1761

Ah…cheese and bread. How I love thee. Originally I had hoped to serve Spanish cheeses but my plans were thwarted by the local cheese selection. Instead, I opted for goat cheese, smoked cheddar cheese, and brie.

IMG_1763

Chorizo and cured ham. Both proved a hit!

IMG_1764

This is the only dish I actually cooked on my stove top – shrimp in a sherry, paprika, garlic, and red pepper flake sauce.

IMG_1765

And the last item – some grilled chicken marinated in a saffron spice mix.

For the dessert I served an un-pictured dulce de leche cheesecake I purchased at a local store. Truthfully, I would have rather just eaten the dulce solo!

On the whole the game and the Cup were thoroughly enjoyable – one of my favourite teams ended up winning! Woohoo!!! Too bad I have to wait four more years until the next one! smile_sad

The good news is we plan on being in Brazil in 2014 – we figure we will go and watch some games then tour the country. It will be a trip of a lifetime and I`m excited already!!!

 

Did you watch the World Cup? What were your favourite moments? If you did not watch the World Cup, what is your favourite sport?

As for me – here are my highs and lows of the World Cup.

High – South Africa scoring the first goal of the tourney

Low – France imploding in the most embarrassing debacle ever

High – Italy failing to make it out of the group stages despite being in a dead easy group

Low – The sour way the Dutch behaved after it became clear Spain would win the Cup

High – Watching Forlan play. He was clearly the revelation of the tourney and Manchester United must surely be kicking themselves now (he used to play for them)

19 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I guess I need to party with you guys! Everything looks so delish! I watched a lot of the soccer games when I could, although I was stuck at work most days and didn't see all of them

Anonymous said...

I didnt get into the world cup but what an amazing spread - everything looks so summery and fresh!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Jocelyn,

You totally need to party avec us! We can watch some kind of sporting event together since I know you're big into that. All you have to do is re-locate closer to the West! lol

Puts you closer to me, puts you closer to Jenna. WIN! WIN!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Sarah,

Thanks! :o) I was pretty proud of my impromptu spread!

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

I'd have come to your luncheon, despite the fact that it was focused around that silly soccer tourney ;)

I'm all about hockey. And figure skating. And sports that involve ice & snow. Is it hockey season yet?

Kelly said...

Wow I love all of the creative things you made with as little cooking as possible, yum!
I didn't watch much of the World Cup this time around because I was so busy with wedding related stuff the past few weeks. However last time it was on Eric and I were in Europe so there was a ton of excitement around it- we watched a few of the games then. I always wish big sporting events like this could be more frequent- 4 years is a long time to wait!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Marianne,

lol You're so very Canadian in your ice-sport affiliations. Although, I love them too I can't help but have an affinity towards soccer too. Must be the Hispanic thing :o)

A Toronto girl out West said...

Kelly,

I guess the 4 years apart thing makes them all the more special. But it is a long time to wait!

BTW - little known fact - the Fiance and I had our first date on the first day of the 2004 World Cup. :o)

AndreaClaire said...

I've been reading for a while (I wandered over from Susan's page) and I'd like to have had my first comment be something other than the soccer, but...
I to have a soccer addiction (http://chilkootchubby.blogspot.com/2010/06/happy-twentieth-anniversary-fai.html) and long for the World Cup every four years (only 1432 days until Brazil 2014!!). I was cheering for Spain in the final (a friend in Madrid bribed me with my wedding invite although I would have cheered for them anyway) as my team *ahem, Ireland* were no where to be seen.

Highlights:
France going home in last place in their group. This could only have been topped by them going home goal-less but you can't have everything.
Ghana doing so well. I have a few Ghanaian friends and they were always such a great group to watch games with. It was sad that it had to end because of a handball on the goal line.
South Africa (as hosts, not the team specifically) providing such a positive image to the world. Having lived in Africa, I love when we get to see more than just the doom and gloom projected on TV specials. That is there, but there's so much more there as well that never seems to make it into those shows.

Lows:
Ireland not being there (thank you so much, Handball Henry) and Switzerland going home in the Round Robin.
As much as I, as an Irish person, loved seeing France go home, I was saddened for the people of France. They deserved better from the players, the coaches and the management.
If I had heard one more girl tell me that they love soccer and support Portugal because Cristiano Ronaldo is sooooooo hot...
Kaka and Torres: out of the big names that failed to really do anything (of which there were a lot), these are the two I'm most upset by. Especially Kaka.

Well, this has turned into a book, so I'll stop now. YAY SPAIN!!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks spectacular and made me crave cheese and bread in the middle of the night :)

Kelsey Ann said...

WOW i totally bet that was a hit!! perfect end to the world cup huh- mmm good food and a good game :P

thanks for ur advice about physio. i was leaning more towards that route- and after reading ur comment u totally convinced me!!

btw. a nanaimo blogger meetup? that sounds really cool! im not sure if i'll be able to, but let me know when it will be and i will see if i can swing out there!

xoxo <3

Southbaygirl said...

I would have enjoyed that viewing , eating and drinking even though I was cheering for the Netherlands!!!

Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

Oh my gosh girl what a great spread! Everything looks amazing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nienke at Revel said...

Ah - you're such a great hostess! I seriously envy your guests :) As for the final..... I was rooting for the Dutch, oh well... Being South African I really enjoyed watching this world cup - why is it only every 4 years?!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Chilkoot,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comment!!! Finally a reader that speaks my soccer language! :o)

Although I have to disagree with you about Kaka - yes he could have done more but I really feel he was the heart and soul of the Brazilian team. In that match where he was out (due to the red card) you could really see the difference in the way the team played.

Besides, he's so pretty! HA! :oP

A Toronto girl out West said...

greekyogurt,

I LOVE bread and cheese - no matter what time! lol

A Toronto girl out West said...

Kelsey,

I'll be kicking it around Victoria for a couple of days so we could potentially meet up there instead!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Nienke,

And I seriously envy your mother's backyard! No seriously - it's gorgeous!!!!