Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Pescatarian Check-Up

So how is this whole pescatarian adventure of mine going? Pretty well actually!!! :o)

I managed to go to Mexico and only eat non-fish protein once. And that was a complete accident. When we were getting ready to come back we chose to eat food from the only healthy option available at the airport - Subway. I didn't even think and just ordered my usual (pre-pescatarian) Subway choice . . . a turkey breast sub. Ooops!

Other than that I've completely steered clear of meat/chicken/pork. It does mean, however, that I have had to change my grocery shopping habits but in a good way.

Exit meats and enter lean seafood and lots and lots of fruits and veggies.



This is yesterday's grocery haul. It consisted of: Japanese mayo (good for the spicy sauce I make for my homemade sushi), Heinz Chili sauce (the sister claims it's way better than ketchup), a bag of frozen black tiger prawns, Kashi cereal (for the fiance), cremini mushrooms, two massive containers of blueberries (yes I'm aware I have a problem), seaweed, yogurt, goat's milk feta cheese, plain yogurt, 4 lemons, tomatoes, garlic, chives, mint, basil, dill, fresh mozzarella, and for the fiance I bought pork, beef, and chicken. Oh and how could I forget my small little amount of skinless salmon and my massive whole Chinook salmon. That's right - the WHOLE fish!!!!!! :oO

I'm not yet sure what I will do with the whole salmon. Maybe cut it up into steaks. Although I'm tempted to cook it in a salt crust. I should do that (once the temperature gets better) and show you bloggies the results. It turns the salmon into such lovely buttery textured goodness! YUM!

For tonight I used the salmon fillet and cooked myself dinner:

I grilled some of my salmon with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a squeeze of lemon. I then served that with a salad made of lovely tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil torn up into little pieces, all drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar (finished off with a bit of salt). It was a delicious and pescatarian dinner.

For dessert I cracked into my (ginormous) stash of blueberries and had a small cupful:

So far so good on the pescatarian front. Granted at the end of this month I will visit my parents in Toronto. And I have no doubt that some non-pescatarian goodies may sneak into the picture. But on the whole I intend on sticking to my pescatarian diet.

And the unintentional bonus to all of this? The weight loss continues. Crazy!!!!

5 comments:

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

You are doing a good job of keeping my coworkers in business ;) Keep on eating that fish!

A Toronto girl out West said...

Marianne,

LOL I'll try!!! :oP

PS: When are you going to Tamami?

itsawrap said...

I'm slowly becoming a pescatarian myself it seems. Do you eat any other protein sources like eggs, tofu, beans,etc...? Have you done any research on if eating too much fish is bad for you?

A Toronto girl out West said...

teacher,

No research yet although I was contemplating this last night. I think I definitely have to stay away from too much tuna due to mercury levels. So although it would be easy and cheap to crack open a can it's probably not a good idea.

I suspect bottom dwellers are a bad idea too 'cause they pick up whatever else is in there.

Everything in moderation but yes it calls for research! :o)

Oh and in Mexico I got loads of protein from beans! lol Here at home I've had my occasional soy product and tempeh is on the menu tonight!

Chic Runner said...

YAY! that is really cool. I'm totally interested in doing this and I think I might try it out for the month of september :) Congrats on a great plan! yay :)