Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Turning Crap-Free Week into a Lifestyle

Now that Crap-Free Week is over I have decided that this will be a life-style change. To the best of my abilities I will continue to eat "clean!" And so was the case yesterday.

Breakfast consisted of oatmeal. Lately I have re-discovered oatmeal - turns out it doesn't have to be bland and taste like wall-paper glue. Yesterday, I added pure pumpkin puree to my oatmeal. I wasn't expecting much because I don't really like pumpkin. In fact you'll never have me eating a piece of pumpkin pie. Much less declaring it yummy!

But boy was I wrong with pumpkin oatmeal. Basically I made my stovetop oats and added all the fixings at the end (vanilla, sugar free syrup, a tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut, a bit of dried cranberries and pumpkin). Earlier on in the cooking process I added some cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg for a bit of a spicy taste.

After my oatmeal was done cooking I served it with a splash of Almond Breeze and mixed it all together. It ended up so creamy and wonderful. But really I never put any added sugar in. It was all natural and fairly healthy. Plus super filling! Having said that it was so yummy I kind of wished I'd made a double serving.


Lunch consisted of baked salmon in a light herb sauce, two laughing cow cheeses, a heaping tablespoon of hummus, and a handful of Kashi crackers. I kind of had to sneak this one into my office (after plating it) to take a picture before chowing down.


Clearly I should have had a snack or a fruit because I was mungry come 3pm so I ate half a date muffin made by one of my co-workers. She claimed it was healthy but one bite told me it couldn't be. It was too buttery and dense and lovely. Anywho it was small and I'd been good for a long time so I indulged.


Dinner was a veggie mix made up of barley, beans, red peppers, and broccoli. I paired that with some extra lean ground beef (I buy super lean cuts and grind them in my food processor - cheaper and healthier) sauteed with a tiny bit of tomato sauce, mushrooms, onions, and red peppers. On the whole? Num num num . . .


During the day I also enjoyed (but did not take pictures of) a banana, an apple, and several cups of Yogi green tea.

You bloggies will have to forgive me because today I neglected to bring my camera along with me to work. So there aren't really any pictures! :o( I can however show you what breakfast looked like!

Inspired by the oat-bran craze sweeping the blogging world I went searching for hot cereals. I found something called Sunny Boy Hot Cereal. It's milled in Alberta and has been around since 1926. It's made up of whole grains of wheat, rye and flax. A good sized bag cost me $3 and change!!! Plus you get such a massive yield out of a small amount. It's quite economical and on the whole really yummy!

I suggest you follow the directions on the bag and then add all the mixings like you would for oatmeal. The consistency was different. Plus you get some flax thrown in there too. It's a good way to change up breakie.

Voila the package:


And here is the finished product:


It was a good way to change things up. I'm sure there's something similar available in the United States - probably a Bob's Red Mill product. Try it! You may be surprised!


Today's Workout
40 minutes of yoga

No comments: